Monday, February 14, 2011

“I just want to say three things…”

I have skipped ahead from Camp Buehring (as far as posts go) to my arrival at Camp Taji with the Torch.  I was sick for 2 days and now it is Sunday.  There was a consolidated chapel service since some 1st CAB Soldiers depart on Monday or Tuesday. All the chaplains from all the units in Iraq are there and have a part. 
Once again I get tears in my eyes when I am in church for no apparent reason.  Words have meanings that catch my subconscious by surprise?  Like movies with kids, husbands and wives, love, affection, good men who do good things for those who can’t do it for themselves and other such stuff gets me a little teary too.  But this is getting ridiculous.
They combined the Gospel Service with the Contemporary service and we got gospel in the air, rock and roll and even a mime music interpretation.  Wow!  I have had more different service experiences in the past two months than the last 15 years.  They didn’t sing “Mighty Fortress” in any of them but at Camp Buehring they sang a classic tune in every contemporary service (I guess I was there for three weeks of Sundays; more to follow on camp Buehring; I almost miss it!) 
COL Muth (Brigade Commander) was to give a few words at the beginning before the service officially began.
“I just want to say three things.  First I thank the Lord for giving me the opportunity to command this CAB in combat.  There are only ten CABs in the army and I have been blessed to command this one.  Second I thank the Lord for bringing us through safely.  Thirdly I want to ask you to continue to have the patience to plan carefully, execute our plan with deliberateness and be safe in our return to Ft. Riley”
He was using notes to stay on track.  He said what he needed to say and then sat down to join the worship.  The quote above isn’t perfect, but it is close enough.  I was inspired to become closer to God; to appreciate good leadership and I immediately recognized again what makes this man such a terrific leader.  He cares about the people as much as he cares about himself. 
Col Muth stands about 5’ 9” (maybe a hair less), has no hair to speak of (even if he let it grow) and exercises religiously (I can’t speak to the exercise of his faith, but he appears religious).  He is a man who is always on the move, always focused with a great intensity and focus.  He knows what he is going to say and he says it.
I inquired of the staff to see if there was a misunderstanding on my part.  Nope.  COL Muth is the real deal.  There are no shortcomings to speak of in the man.  That doesn’t mean he is perfect nor that he is without critics, but if they are (and I didn’t find ONE) there they are few and far between. They are also quibbling around the edges.  COL Muth is a man’s man; a Christian warrior who recognizes his blessings and accepts his responsibilities within that.  Does he have an ego?  Oh yeah!  A big one!  But that ego is his own.  He doesn’t need to belittle, question or diminish others to be happy with himself.  He has ego and you can have yours and we can all be confident in ourselves.
“I have never had a better commander.  Period!”  A repetitive quote I heard when asking around.  Good for them!
To become a Combat Aviation Brigade Commander (CAB) on active duty is a difficult task.  Many are called and few are chosen.  I am sure they are for the most part a tremendous group.  Active manly leaders with egos and hearts and passion to match; Guard commanders are often chosen as much by default as anything else. 
Who else is available?  Within a state there may only be one to choose from or maybe a couple.  But on active duty there is a rigorous selection process that not only decides who will make Colonel but then another board to identify who will command.  Fortunately in this current environment in Iraq we don’t require the best.  There aren’t people getting shot down regularly, Soldiers aren’t getting killed daily and there are no other great issues that require great leadership.  In Iraq today we can get by very well with “good enough”.
Our brigade has enough maturity (the leaders are easily 10 years older than our active duty counterparts), rank (their Brigade staff has 2 LTCs and one COL, we have 8 LTCs, extra senior NCOs all over), and experience (life experience, varied job experiences and a lot of time together over the years which builds trust (or not).
So we are going to be okay.  If you were worried please don’t be.  We are good enough to do this mission well and safely.
I have three things to say to you;      
May the Lord bless you and keep you; may he make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; may he look upon you with favor and give you his peace.
Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment