Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Cleanliness is next to Godliness, isn’t it?

Cleanliness is next to Godliness, isn’t it?
The Reverend John Wesley is considered to have originally said “Cleanliness is next to Godliness” in reference to appearance.  But what about room appearance?  Is that only an issue when you move in?  Have you ever noticed how untidy and dirty other people live?  Paraphrasing Jesus:  Look first to the dirt in your own room before you tell another that they need to clean theirs!
Since I arrived I found my room cleaned to a satisfactory level, but having been formed by my mother I have commenced to clean my room with more vigor than normal.  I am not a cleaner by nature, but when it must be done or when first entering a new location it seems to be the human condition.
As Soldiers arrive they get their room assignments and immediately note how filthy they are and run to the PX to purchase cleaning supplies.  I am sure the people we are replacing did the same when they arrived.  And my how far they have fallen!
I wandered to the room next to me a few days ago and asked the Chaplain what was going on etc.  He was cleaning his room for the next occupant.  “Were you raised in a BARN!  This place is a PIGPEN!  It looks like a tornado went through here!’ my mother’s words swirled through my mind and I thought; “Man!  Whatever happened to “Cleanliness is next to Godliness!?”
“Hey Chaplain!  Whats going on?”
“Oh!  Hi!  I am cleaning the room for the next Chaplain.  I promised I would give him the room and all the stuff in it (television?)”
“Really!  Well, how is it coming along?”
“Don’t come in here, the place is a mess (UNDERSTATEMENT ALERT!)”
Pigs live in their own slop and sometimes so do kids.  But Chaplains?  I guess some do! 
People are judged by their appearances and Chaplain Y. needs to carry that message back.  Chaplains need to hold a higher standard; they are to be men of one wife, sober, without outward sins and clean is how I think the quote goes…or should have gone anyway. 
Most of the men in our building are over 45 and have been well trained by their wives.  Neat, clean, cooperative, helpful, polite with limited bad language or habits.  I have it on good authority that over half will put the toilet seat down after use even though they are the only one using the toilet for the next 9 months!  But there are a few exception (the young whippersnapper MAJ Griggs….and the LTC married with no children and used to a mostly bachelor lifestyle will be the exception.
But wait!  There is MORE!
Each staff member was to move into the same room vacated by their counterpart staff member.  This sounds terrific of course, but what if there are too many officers of senior rank compared to the unit we are replacing?  Some changes MUST be made and the CW5 Mafia insisted that they be given the rooms they deserve by rank.  There are a mess of them so many get bumped to lesser quarters.
Which means the Chaplain, although he had promised that the incoming Chaplain would get his room…that was not the decision made by the XO (after extensive consultation with others who aren’t even living on the base with us!) 
MAJ Sullenberger Jr. (S2) arrived and was ready to get into his room.  But the Chaplain had just moved out that day after “cleaning it”.  He went with his counterpart to get the key.  Knocking on the Chaplain’s door there was no answer.  Knock, knock, knock: “Chaplain!  Are you in there?  We need the key to your room!”  No answer.
Knocking again with more vigor.  “Chaplain!  We need a key!  Are you in there?”
The door opened a crack.  “I am only going to give the key to the person taking my room.”
”Okay, well that is great!  That would be me” said Sullenberger.
“No, it isn’t you.  Chaplain St. Georges is taking my place.  I am only going to give the key to him.  (To paraphrase…) I will only give the key to you if directed by the XO.”
“Okay, well we can do that” and they started to leave.  “I won’t be up.  I am going to bed and won’t answer the door if you come back” Gee whiz!  He sounded a little…hostile?  From a Chaplain?
They went to get the S3 and the three of them went (walked) to the command building and there was the XO coming out. They explained to the XO the situation.  Just then almost running up was the Chaplain.

“Chaplain!  Do you have the room key?” said the XO.
“Yes.  But I promised it to the guy who is my counterpart and he is replacing me.”
“Chaplain, he isn’t going to get that room.  The XO of the new brigade gets to decide who goes into what room.  That is how it works.”
“Oh.   Oh, well, ummm…” 
“Chaplain, do you have the key?”
“Yes sir, I do!”
“Chaplain, give me the key.  Now please.”
Sheepishly and with a little hesitation he handed the key to the XO who handed it to MAJ Sullenberger.
Then he got to move into the pig sty.  Which is where I found Sully cleaning (disinfecting?) the room.  “We share a hot water heater” I said. 
“Oh great!   Man, did this guy even clean before he left?” I told him how he had spent the day or two before cleaning.  No evidence of it though.
“I can’t believe people actually live like this!”
We will see what his room looks like after he is ready to leave.  I expect that the guys will mostly leave their rooms clean, the toilet seats down and there will be no complaints about the rooms when I leave. 
I am not sure how many Christians we have here, but for many their cleanliness is as close as they will get to God.
Titus 1:6 (paraphrased) 

No comments:

Post a Comment